Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Knob plus some sketches

"The Knob" - 8 x 8 inches - oil on canvas
I painted this at the beginning of the summer after a trip to Cape Cod with some friends.  We drove to "The Knob" which is small peninsula near Falmouth, MA.  We walked down a path through thick brush only to emerge in a small open space studded with rocks where your entire vista is ocean (technically, it is Buzzard's Bay).  We timed our visit just before sunset and were a bit surprised to see a crowd of 25-30 people anticipating the same event.  As the sun slipped just below the horizon, everyone clapped and cheered! 

I mentioned that I was doing a "Doodle-A-Day" challenge with a group of friends (known as the "6-Pack") for the month of August.  Spoiler alert to my 6-Packers who read my blog!  I mentioned that I'd share a few of my sketches.

I decided to use the alphabet to help me decide what to sketch each day.  So, the first day I sketched my Attic, the second day I sketched my Bedroom, third day was my Cooper, my dog, etc.  I sketched scenes around my home and wanted to work on perspective.  I sketched using a marker and most were done with in 10 minutes or less and I didn't fuss over them.  The 6-Pack is gathering later this month to eat, drink, be merry and to reveal our sketchbooks!

Here is a sampling of a few of my favorite sketches:









And my "Name the Painting Contest" continues for one more week:

I couldn't think of a suitable name for this painting (see below) so I'm asking for help.  I will give away one of my petite paintings to the person who comes up with the winning name.  To win, you must be a subscriber to my mailing list.  You can sign up here: http://www.lauriegmiller.com/contact.html and then send your name suggestion to: Laurie@LaurieGMiller.com  

I will announce the winner on September 13.  I can't wait to hear the names everyone comes up with!





No comments: