Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Marsh - 5 x 7 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

"Marsh" - 5 x 7 inches - oil on paper - SOLD
I've been fortunate to spend a lot of time in Newburyport, MA this month.  Inspiration is all around between the sailboats on the Merrimack River to the dunes and marshes on Plum Island.  Plein air painting this time of year is delightful as the weather is cool and the colors are just starting to change to oranges and reds. 

I'm going to coin a new phrase, and yes, you heard it here first "Plein Auto painting."  Yes, most of the time, I sit inside my car when I paint.  I still have the immediacy of reacting to the scene in front of me and yet I'm sheltered from wind and sun.  I make full use of the cup holders, dashboard and center console to hold my supplies as I try to capture the scene in front of me.  So, instead of Plein Air painting, I'm Plein Auto painting.  It is a beautiful thing!

This particular scene was painted Plein Auto.  I've always thought marshes were incredibly beautiful with their soft grasses.  As with many landscapes, I started with the sky, then the distant background trees and worked my way forward. 


No comments: