Monday, May 2, 2016

Satsuma Mandarin and Grapes - 8x8 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

Satsuma Mandarin and Grapes - 8x8 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD
There is a farm stand near my home, Idylwilde Farms, that I really enjoy.  It is actually much more than a farm stand.  They have a green house, a bakery, a deli counter, meats, fish, cheeses, wines, a large selection of gourmet products, and of course, great fresh produce.

On a recent visit, I spotted a bin of Satsuma Mandarins, a fruit I had never seen.  Most of the fruits had a stem with some leaves attached.  I probably spent 15 minutes digging through the bin to find a pleasing subject to paint.  Some had a giant cluster of leaves.  Some had leaves that were bent.  Some fruits didn't have a stem at all.  Finally, I found one that I liked.  

I never did eat the Satsuma Mandarin so I can't report on what it tastes like.  It sat in my studio a bit too long and spent too much time under a hot light surrounded by oil paints.  Hmmm.  Not too appealing for an afternoon snack.

"Satsuma Mandarin and Grapes" is an 8x8 oil on canvas painting with a wood floating frame (see photo below).  







No comments: