Monday, August 1, 2016

"Brookline Ave" - 20 x 20 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

"Brookline Ave" - 20 x 20 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD
Last summer I stayed at a hotel on Brookline Avenue in Boston.  The hotel looked into Fenway park and also had a great view of my beloved Citgo sign (which I have painted several times before). 

I almost always start my paintings with a solid background color.  This time, I blocked in areas using complementary colors instead of the final color I would use.  For example, the main building was blocked in using a blue color and if you look at the final painting, the building is primarily orange.  When applying the the orange paint, I allowed some of the blue under painting to show through to give a nice little pop of color.




This painting was completed using a palette knife so the paint application is thick and textural and creates a fairly abstract image.  Some close ups are below:



 Additional images are below.












No comments: