Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Sargent Mill" - 12 x 12 inches - oil on canvas - sold

I started this painting with a dark blue ground and used it to create the texture in the building by allowing the blue to peek through.  I really like how it looks.  I’ve recently learned something new.  When I started painting in oils a couple years ago, I usually started with a detailed pencil drawing directly on the canvas.  Lately, no matter how complicated the subject, I create my "drawing" by using brushstrokes.  I just try to get the basic proportions and angles correct and not worry too much about defining every little detail.  When I begin to paint, I’m able to keep my brush strokes looser as I’m not as worried about conforming to my pencil sketch.  This has really been a break through for me!

No comments: