Friday, May 14, 2010

"Berry Bright" - 6 x 6 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

I set up my easel and started this painting at "Wine and Nibbles" - the monthly open house at Art on Main. My canvas was originally covered in a a wash of Cadmium Red which I allowed to peek through. Strawberries are a lot harder to paint that you'd think. At one point, Marie, the shop owner from next door, took a look at my canvas and said, "It looks like a shoe... you need to fix that." Damn that Marie. but she was right. I had painted a big red shoe. When the painting was finally finished, Marie gave her coveted "seal of approval."

3 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Well it doesn't look like a shoe now!!
How funny... You made me laugh!! It's a good thing that Marie is a good friend!!!

Love the way the red wash peeks through all over.

Laurie G. Miller said...

Yes, I love starting each painting with a colorful wash. Considering I was a watercolorist for many years, it comes naturally for me :)

Thanks Marian...Laurie

Lisa Daria said...

this no longer looks like a shoe, but rather a delicious, shiny strawberry - good work, really like the glow on the surface up near the stem - really, really, lovely.