Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Sea Glass Suncatchers

Anyone who has followed me for a while knows that I'm pretty obsessed with collecting sea glass.  In fact, I can't really enjoy relaxing on a beach anymore as I'm always on the hunt for my next big find like a piece of an old coca cola bottle, a piece with interesting texture or a rare color like red or turquoise.  


I've also become interested in creating stained glass art pieces and have learned the basics of copper foiling and soldering.  So, it's only natural to combine my interests by creating these "Sea Glass Suncatchers."

Like designing an abstract painting, I'm always thinking about the distribution of colors, shapes and textures.  I might spend an hour re-arranging the pieces until I'm happy with the composition.  I like adding wrapped wire in a spiral or heart shape to add an extra element and point of interest.

Each suncatcher is about 5 inches square and is unique and can never be duplicated again.  The inner pieces are sea glass (unaltered exactly as I found them) and I've "framed" the outside using either clear, textured class, or, in the first example below, the edge of a green glass plate (that I sliced apart).

A handful of these suncatchers are available at Artists Corner and Gallery in West Acton, MA with another few available at the Rockport Art Association in Rockport, MA.

I'm happy to custom make a suncatcher for anyone who is interested.  Email me for details at Laurie@LaurieGMiller.com  





No comments: