Tuesday, November 8, 2016

"Froot Loops" - 20 x 20 inches - oil on canvas

"Froot Loops" - 20 x 20 inches - oil on canvas

“Froot Loops” was inspired by a sketch done by my friend Pat.  Pat had illustrated the quote: “Be a Froot Loop in a bowl of Cheerios” and it stuck in my mind (and I loved her sketch).





To start, I bought an individual serving size box of Froot Loops (I couldn’t bring myself to buy an entire box!) and borrowed a plastic blue bowl and spoon from a friend to create the image I was looking for. 

As I created this painting, I learned a lot about Froot Loops.  They come in 6 colors: the three primaries (red, yellow and blue) and three secondaries: (purple, green and orange).  Who knew?

With a bright pink acrylic base coating my entire canvas, I painted the cereal first – all the red pieces (sprinkling them throughout the bowl, all the blues, etc.  I then moved on to the bowl and noted the subtle reflections on the inside.  I painted the background next and added the spoon and finally the milk.  I allowed the cereal colors to mix into the off-white “milk” paint as the cereal will discolor the milk.

This painting was so fun to paint.  I love the bright colors and the cheerful funky feeling…enjoy!

"Froot Loops" is a 20 x 20 inch oil on canvas painting with the sides painted black so framing is optional.  It is available directly from me.  Click here for more information.  Additional photos are below.





No comments: