Monday, November 11, 2013

"Mahjong Marathon" - 12 x 12 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

"Mahjong Marathon" - 12 x 12 inches - oil on canvas
I know a crazy group of women who love to play Mahjong.  Besides their weekly game, a couple times a year, they book a hotel room and go off on a "retreat" where they play game after game of Mahjong.  There is barely time to eat, sleep or even take bathroom breaks.  This group is hardcore!  And, the stakes are high.  On a good weekend, you can rake in about $10!

I started this painting over the summer but life got in the way and I didn't finish it until last week.  I had taken a number of reference photos and spent a long time deciding which had the best composition.  I settled on this one as I liked the arrangement of their bodies which created pleasing shapes on the canvas. 

For various areas, I used alternate reference photos.  One example is the woman in the blue shirt.  In the original reference, her arm was at a strange angle and just didn't look right.  I was able to use another photo and found a much better angle.  

2014 Desk Calendars: Don't forget to order (or pick up) one of my 2014 desk calendars - they make a great holiday gift.  I only make a limited number and once they're gone, they're gone!  They are available at Art on Main, or, click here to order by mail.  
2014 Desk Calendar

No comments: