Saturday, June 27, 2009

Onion Trio - 12 x 12 inches - Oil on canvas

Onions make an interesting subject to paint. They come in a nice variety of shapes and a wide range of colors…whites, yellows, oranges, reds and purples. I wanted to capture the papery and translucent nature of the skin so I used thin layers (or glazes) of paint starting with light colors and then gradually adding deeper colors to create the round forms. The knife adds an element of interest and creates some tension. It almost looks like the three onions are “looking” at the knife and wondering, “What’s that?”

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Laurie,

This is really special. I think it is beautiful. What a show it is going to be. Great job.

Unknown said...

Laurie,
you are so talented. We can't wait for your show. Lou

K2 said...

Looks like I have competition now, I like this one and the nectarine post previous to this one. If you have time you should go back and make the knife serrated.