Sunday, June 7, 2009

Blue Bird - 12 x 12 inches - Oil on canvas



These objects sit on my kitchen window sill. Illuminated with strong afternoon sunlight, they made a perfect subject to paint. The small glass is holding some flowers presented to me on Mothers Day by my daughter (along with a hearty breakfast). I bought the blue ceramic bird in France five years ago and keep it inside a small pottery bowl made by my sister. It fits perfectly and looks like a cozy nest. The pot, a new addition to my windowsill, is filled with chives that I dug from my garden.

The background foliage was a challenge to paint. I wanted to simply indicate the leaves and branches. Showing too much detail would have competed with the foreground objects. I was pleased with the final result but it took quite a bit of painting, wiping and then painting again.

2 comments:

K2 said...

The best Mother's Day breakfast ever.

Laurie G. Miller said...

Yes, it certainly was!