Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Before Hours" - 12 x 12 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD


"Before Hours" - 12 x 12 inches - oil on canvas
The Art on Main gallery is connected to two shops -- Eclectique and Le Gourmet Jardin.  I came in to work early one Saturday morning before the other shops opened.  As I glanced down the hallway to Ecletique, there was soft, morning light coming in through the sliding glass door.  I just couldn't resist trying to capture that morning glow.  Because Ecletique sells vintage finds, there were interesting (and challenging) objects to paint. 

I started with a bright orange ground and primarily worked from back to front.  I usually try to get the basic shapes, colors and values correct before adding the final details.  Claire, the owner of Ecletique, was thrilled that I painted her shop and decided to buy the painting... a happy ending for both of us  :)

No comments: