Monday, April 2, 2012

"Last Traces of Snow" - 8 x 8 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

"Last Traces of Snow" - 8 x 8 inches - oil on canvas

I went up to Plum Island in Newburyport, MA a few weeks ago to do two of my favorite things - painting and birdwatching. There was a crowd of people with binoculars and spotting scopes and sure enough, just across this inlet, barely visible in the tall grass, was a Snowy Owl. For those who aren't "Birders", the Snowy Owl is a pretty rare and wonderful bird to see. I stayed and watched for quite a while and I could see his head moving but I couldn't get a great view of his body. I really, really wanted to see him fly. They are huge birds. So, I decided I'd "kill two birds with one stone" :) and set up my easel to paint right there. Not only did I have a lovely view to paint, but I could keep my eye on the Snowy Owl. Long story short: that damn owl sat in that tall grass and NEVER moved away from that spot. Below is a picture of the Snowy Owl:


2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Thanks for posting that owl. It's such a treat to see one.
The painting is fabulous.

Laurie G. Miller said...

Thanks Mary! It was a treat to see one in person but very frustrating :)