Monday, September 6, 2010

"Groton Pumpkins" - 6 x 6 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

I spotted this vista in Groton, MA when I was scouting for something interesting to paint. I loved the scrambled rows of bright orange pumpkins. This painting is a good lesson in perspective. To get the feeling of distance, I had to make the distant row of trees quite small – they are less than an inch high. You’ll also notice how the pumpkins get progressively larger from background to foreground.

It was a lovely summer day to paint outside for a couple hours. The experience would have been perfect if it hadn’t been for the little bug that crawled under my sandal strap and bit my foot. Oh well, that is just one of the hazards of plein air painting.

1 comment:

Marian Fortunati said...

At least most of the day was perfect!

Oweee... hope the foot didn't swell up.