Thursday, April 8, 2010

Citgo - 12 x 12 inches - oil on canvas - SOLD

Whenever I'm in Boston, I always look for the Citgo sign which is located in the Back Bay area and overlooks Fenway Park. Some years back, Citgo was going to tear down their weather-beaten sign. However, they were met with tremendous resistance from Bostonians who have great affection for this landmark.
This painting is based on a photo that I snapped while caught in traffic on Storrow Drive. The red tail lights create a line that moves your eye into the lower right corner of the canvas. This balances nicely with the red Citgo sign in the upper left. To get the composition that I wanted, I used Photoshop to modify my reference photo and moved the sign (along with some buildings) further to the right.
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the Citgo piece! Lovely use of light and shadow. You keep getting better and better! We continue to enjoy the six pieces that hang throughout our house.

Unknown said...

Love this Citgo painting Laurie. Looks great. Janif

Laurie G. Miller said...

Thanks! I've gotten a lot of comments on this painting at Art on Main. People ask, "How did you ever think to paint a Boston traffic jam?"