Sunday, January 10, 2010

Life is a . . . 6 x 6 inches - Oil on canvas - SOLD


I had to look up the spelling of “maraschino” to write this post. I was surprised at how difficult these maraschino cherries were to paint (and to spell). Their liquid is very opaque so it is difficult to see the individual pieces. I used a bit of artist license and added in strokes of yellows and orange to add more interest to an otherwise solid block of red. As always, the height, placement and direction of the stems was very deliberate and is an important part of the composition.

3 comments:

Lisa Daria said...

Your artistic license served you well - the yellows and oranges carry one's eye all around - good work on the stem placement too - I'd love to know your secret on how your items look natural and random, not set up by a human hand. . .

Laurie G. Miller said...

Thanks Lisa. I think creating the composition is the hardest part of painting! I usually stumble across something as opposed to taking a bunch of objects and trying to make up my own composition.

Johanna Spinks said...

Yummy. I like the airy feel it has.