Saturday, July 18, 2009

Carlisle Bog - 6 x 6 - Oil on canvas

I recently bought an "OpenBox M" painting box (see below) so that I can easily pack up and travel to any location to paint "en plein air". I squeeze out my paints in the bottom of the box and the lid has an adjustable, spring-loaded clamp to hold a canvas. The box is easily attached to a tripod to make a perfect easel with attached palette. Last week, I took advantage of a glorious sunny day and went to the cranberry bog in Carlisle, MA. For a couple hours, I painted in the shade of a huge oak tree and enjoyed a cool breeze, the sound of birds chirping, and a beautiful view.

4 comments:

Meg Temple said...

Hi Laurie,

I also bought an Open Box M painting box but haven't used it yet. What are you using for the palette? It doesn't look like the wooden one that came with it. I've been hesitant to use it.

Meg

Laurie G. Miller said...

Hi Meg,

I had a piece of glass cut to fit the bottom. I put a white piece of paper under the glass to make it white. I found that I didn't have to secure the glass as the small screw on the right side keeps it from falling out. There is a tiny gap on the edge of the glass so some paint can sneak in there, but, otherwise, it works great!

-L

Sandy said...

Hi Laurie,
This is my favorite painting on your site. Can't wait to see it at the show in Oct!
Sandy

Anonymous said...

Mill,
You're awesome! The glass idea sounds ingenious.
-Katie