Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Me and My Shadow - 12 x 12 inches - Oil on canvas

As I was walking our dog Cooper, I was inspired by the strong cast shadows and figured it would make an interesting painting. Having my camera handy, I took photos for the rest of our walk (which must have looked pretty strange). Our walk was fairly late in the day so the shadows were actually very long. I had to shorten and modify the shadows to get the look that I wanted. I debated about adding more details to the ground such as the sidewalk, grass, etc. In the end, I really liked the simplicity of just the dog, leash, and shadows.

1 comment:

Pam Holnback said...

Laurie, just discovered your blog. I really like the simplified shadows on the piece. The slight color variations and soft edges work well. Scrolled back through and love the foundry and acorns. Look forward to more.