Monday, March 30, 2009

Open Wide - 12 x 12 inches - Oil on canvas - SOLD


Apparently, inspiration comes at strange times and in strange places. I was having a tooth prepped for a crown, and looked up at my dentist, Dr. Martin, peering into my mouth and thought, "this would make a cool painting". After he finished, I asked him to pose so that I could get a few reference photos. He graciously put back on his mask, glasses, gloves etc. and peered into my camera. Like many of my paintings, I used pieces of several photos to design the composition. I liked his hand position in one photo and the angle of his head in another. I added the light in the background by referring to some photos I found on the internet.


On another note, I was flattered to receive 1st place in the Westford Regional Art Event 2009 in the Professional/Experienced - Oil/Acrylic category. My painting, "Morning" was picked from almost 50 works from some artists that I really respect and admire. I'm truly humbled to have received this honor. Below is a photo of my winning entry along with a photo of the show - check out the magnificent paper sculpture of a magnolia tree in the center of the room. The buildling was filled with almost 500 pieces of art!


1 comment:

K2 said...

nice job Ma